Sunday, August 14, 2011

Last Sunday together


“Throughout history, the dog-human relationship has shown that dogs can humanize us, and this is part of the magic unleashed in adopting a puppy…Something so simple as walking the dog takes us out of ourselves and reminds us that life’s beauty beckons to be acknowledged.” (from Dogs and Devotion).  As I write this afternoon the puppies are snoozing, tired from their busy day yesterday the highlights of which included a haircut, an evaluation and the first round of puppy shots.  All of us are moving a little slower today; my exhaustion is catching up with me and I am quite content gazing at them stretched out and napping on what will be our last Sunday all together.  Last night as they raced through the kitchen with Sophie charging after them there was pure joy in their antics.  Earlier this week, they each had their temperament “test” and it was of great interest to see them individually respond to the stimuli.  While there were some small variations among each of the pups, as a group, they were friendly, playful, curious, confident, interested in the toys, and for the most part, even retrieved a “ball” for the stranger-evaluator.  After evaluating each of the puppies’ structures and physical characteristics, and looking at their temperament results during this busy week, I am making some initial decisions about their homes.  At least one puppy will live with me as planned all along.  I’m pretty sure I know who it will be.  Without a doubt, the puppies and the experience of raising them to this point has been a tremendously satisfying and unexpectedly transforming experience.  For instance, for the first time, I heard today the sound that a puppy makes when he's snoring and his head is leaned into a water bowl.  The puppies have helped me see the comical in poop smeared all over a toy teddy bear or the endearing in the sweet gaze of a puppy sprawled out on his back with his legs in the air. Truly I will never look at a dog in the same way again.  I am thrilled to know that these amazing puppies who have spent nearly eight weeks in my home, will be adopted by the wonderful families I’ve met during these past weeks. During the next few days we will complete the remaining preparations for "adoption day" at the end of the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment