Thursday, July 21, 2011

Finally....Finally

June 22nd:  Finally, finally.  Six puppies  arrived this morning after a long and sleepless night.  They were due June 21st and thinking they would  come earlier than their due date,  I slept maybe 8 hours in the last three days, some of that time propped up in the whelping box.  Certainly no sleep last night.  I set the ipod on shuffle sometime around 11pm and after calling Susan at 6:45am to report that there were no puppies yet, turned around and within minutes Sophie's waterbag broke and orange girl made her appearance. Of course in my sleepless haze I proclaimed orange girl a boy and then knowing my judgment was undoubtedly impaired, did a recheck when her brother lime green arrived about 25 minutes later..  After the stress of my anticipation and Sophie's labor, the deliveries themselves were easy.  The pups weigh between 5.3 and 7.8 oz, are nursing well and mom has settled in contentedly.  I am reviewing  The Art of Raising a Puppy's fabulous chapter on how puppies develop during their first thirteen days of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment